Total Knee Replacement Surgery in New Haven
What is total knee replacement?
Total knee replacement, also known as total knee arthroplasty, is a procedure that involves removing diseased or damaged portions of your knee joint and replacing them with artificial components that restore the knee, allowing it to move naturally and function as a healthy knee joint would.
Total knee arthroplasty surgery can deliver improved mobility, pain reduction, and a better quality of life for patients suffering from various knee problems. Unlike partial knee replacement surgery, which replaces only part of the knee joint, a total knee replacement procedure is performed when damage to the knee is more severe or widespread.
Why is total knee replacement performed?
Total knee replacement surgery is performed to relieve pain and joint damage caused by knee conditions such as:
- Knee arthritis
- Knee fractures
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Post traumatic arthritis of the knee
- Failed primary knee replacement surgery
Your orthopedic surgeon may recommend a total knee replacement if you suffer from any of the following symptoms and have had little or no improvement with conservative treatment options:
- Pain that does not improve, even with therapy or medications
- Difficulty walking or standing for an extended period of time
- Knee pain that keeps you awake at night
- Trouble standing after sitting for a period of time
- Lowered range of motion in knee
What does total knee replacement involve?
Before you undergo a total knee replacement procedure, you will be provided with specific instructions about how to prepare for the surgery, and what to expect before, during and after your procedure. During your knee replacement surgery, you will be under anesthesia to keep you relaxed and comfortable throughout the procedure.
While the surgical techniques used may vary, a total knee arthroplasty generally involves the following steps:
- Dr. Rubin will make a small incision near the knee joint.
- Using advanced techniques and equipment, Dr. Rubin will carefully extract the diseased or damaged portion of the knee joint and prepare the area for the implant.
- The components of the knee implant are secured into place.
- The implants are fitted together and the incision is closed.
Following your knee arthroplasty, Dr. Rubin will discuss next steps with you to ensure a rapid recovery after surgery.
What are the advantages of undergoing total knee replacement surgery with Dr. Rubin?
Dr. Rubin is a leading joint reconstruction specialist with extensive experience in performing knee arthroplasty.
Entrusting Dr. Lee Rubin with your total knee replacement surgery can provide the following benefits:
- Relief of chronic knee pain
- Restored knee function
- Repair of knee injuries, such as fractures
- Surgery performed at renowned Yale-New Haven Hospital
Schedule Your Total Knee Replacement Consultation Today!
If you’re suffering from chronic knee pain and knee joint mobility problems, you may be a good candidate for total knee replacement surgery. The first step to feeling better is scheduling an evaluation with New Haven orthopedic surgeon Dr. Lee Rubin. To request an appointment, call (203) 785-2579 or fill out the form on this page.