Revision Knee Replacement Surgery in New Haven
What is revision knee replacement surgery?
Revision knee replacement surgery is a procedure that may be recommended when a previous total knee replacement surgery fails. In many cases, knee arthroplasty is successful and can help patients regain mobility and improve their quality of life. However, a primary knee replacement can fail for various reasons, and it may occur soon after surgery or many years later. When this happens, a revision joint replacement specialist may recommend a second surgery to correct the failed replacement and restore function to the knee.
What are the possible complications after knee replacement surgery?
Complications that may occur after total knee arthroplasty include the following:
- Nerve damage
- Blood clotting
- Inability to heal properly
- Ongoing pain in knee
- Little or no improvement in range of motion
Why is revision knee replacement performed?
Revision knee replacement surgery can remedy numerous problems that may arise after total knee arthroplasty. The following are the most common reasons for having knee revision surgery:
- Wearing or loosening of the implant over time can cause knee pain and require revision surgery to repair.
- Infection can sometimes require a revision surgery to eliminate the infection in the joint.
- Knee fractures can damage the artificial knee implant and necessitate surgery to repair or replace the implant.
- Soft tissue instability can occur if the muscles surrounding the joint are not strong enough to stabilize the implant.
What does revision knee replacement involve?
Before revision knee replacement with Dr. Rubin, you will undergo testing and imaging to determine the condition of your implanted knee, as well as to discover any bone loss or other damage to the joint. In some cases, blood tests may be done to determine whether an infection is present.
After testing is complete and you are recommended for revision surgery, you will undergo surgery to repair or replace the damaged joint. Dr. Rubin uses the latest techniques backed by current research to perform revision knee replacement surgery, which can help speed up your recovery time.
What are the advantages of undergoing surgery with knee revision specialist Dr. Rubin?
Undergoing revision knee replacement surgery with Dr. Rubin can offer the following benefits following surgery:
- Improved knee function
- Ability to perform daily movements (walking, climbing stairs, etc.)
- Lowered or eliminated knee pain
If you’re suffering from symptoms suggestive of a knee replacement failure, you may be a good candidate for revision knee replacement surgery. The first step to feeling better is scheduling an evaluation with Dr. Lee Rubin, an expert in joint replacement revision surgery. To request an appointment, call (203) 785-2579 or fill out the form on this page.